DCSIMG

Firefighters called to barbecue - inside a flat

Firefighters were called to a minor fire at Warwick Road, Batley Carr, on February 24

Firefighters were called to a minor fire at Warwick Road, Batley Carr, on February 24

 

Two fire engines rushed to a Batley Carr flat after smoke from a barbecue filled the home.

The fire was not burning when firefighters from Dewsbury Fire Station arrived at the Warwick Road flat shortly before 11am today (Monday), but fans were used to clear the smoke.

A fire station spokesman said: “The woman had been barbecuing her breakfast in her kitchen and did not realise the danger. Fumes had filled the flat.

“People should not use barbecues indoors. The carbon monoxide fumes released are dangerous, and the flimsy tins can easily burn through.

“She was very lucky.”

The lady, who was around 70 years old, was given fire prevention advice and her smoke alarms were checked.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page