An underground fire led to more than 20 homes being evacuated in Batley yesterday.
Firefighters were called to Frederick Walker Gardens, off Taylor Street, at around 9.30am.
The fire had caused a gas leak, and it was the smell of gas which prompted locals to raise the alarm.
Fire crews were on standby at the scene until the area was made safe by gas engineers.
Firefighter Ian Stephenson said: “Underground fires are quite rare and it was a very substantial leak.”
The fire is believed to have been caused by underground cables.