Fire crews called to house fire in Cleckheaton

Latest news...
Latest news...

A man from Cleckheaton is “lucky to be alive” this morning after his house caught fire last night (Tuesday).

Fire crews from Batley and Cleckheaton were called to an address on West End Drive at around 7.55pm and managed to extinguish the blaze, which has caused severe damage to a bedroom.

The 23 year-old man had returned from work and lit a candle before going in the shower. He was alerted by his smoke alarms sounding as the room caught fire and he managed to get out of the property unharmed.

A spokesman from Cleckheaton Fire Station said: “This man was very lucky to get out of the house and the fact that he did demonstrates the life-saving importance of smnoke alarms.

“We’d like to urge people to be fire safety aware this Christmas. Never leave lit candles unattended.”