Cigarette causes Batley bedroom fire

editorial image

Four people managed to escape from a house fire in Batley last night (Sunday).

Crews from Dewsbury were called to Purlwell Crescent at 10.55pm to reports of a bedroom fire.

Those in the house escaped to safety before crews arrived.

A West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said the fire was caused by a cigarette which hadn’t been put out properly.

Firefighters used high pressure hose reels and a breathing apparatus at the scene, but the bedroom was left severely fire damaged.

Nobody was injured and crews left at around 12.30pm.